Thursday, August 26, 2010

I'm considering eating meat again

To be clear I'm not actually considering it but I did consider giving of my red meat free diet today. I sorta eat meat but I don't consider fish and foul to be meat like some people as far as I'm concerned meat comes from mammals we can debate that somewhere else if you want. So when I say meat I'm referring to a slab of steak and or some pork chops or bacon...ewww bacon... or something of that nature. Not gloriously seasoned, marinated and grilled chicken or lemon peppered grilled salmon so I'll eat birds and fish but absolutely NO RED MEAT for me. Sometimes I think about being a vegetarian and then I remember what it feels like when my body shuts down because it doesn't have enough protein or I'll think about all the foods I could eat. But on the rare occasion I encounter a meat filled dish that makes me want to throw caution to the wind and eat meat just so I can have it and enjoy it without consequences.

I've been thinking lately I really like food. Eating anything that wasn't mass produced, though I do love the Lost Canyon Kitchen, will do that to you I think. I know someone who shall remain nameless that thinks I'm a picky eater and that I don't really like food. First I'll admit that I am a picky eater but in my defense I think I'm inclined to think some things don't taste good because 1. my mom's pescaterian (she eats fish because it's easy protein) and she has been for nearly 24 years she loves to point out meat's gross qualities and I agree. 2. I grew up in the South. Have you seen what Southern people do to their food?





everything on that plate was brought to you by:




Unless that was plate from my Grandma's kitchen because when I was 7 my grandma stopped using lard in anything she made because it'll clog your arteries and kill you. Oh and a little fyi for anyone who doesn't know lard is just a grocery store word for saturated pig fat. It wouldn't sell as well if you put that on the package. When you grow up eating soul food you have a bias towards things that don't fit in your soul food box also I'm from a small town my options were limited. I'm a picky eater because I'm a victim of circumstances that's all.

Promise I had a point. Every time I eat the food just taste so different. I've noticed it a lot since I've been home. Things I normally eat just aren't as good anymore. I want something more from the food on my plate.

I was scouring the internet and I found what I want in my food.

I want to eat food like this all the time.


grilled PB&J

I'm positive that I'd actually eat peanut butter if it were in a grilled sandwich it'd be all melted and yummy. It's the consistency that doesn't appeal to me.


rice, sesame seeds, eel and a sunny side up egg.

rice for breakfast? Capital Y E S exclamation mark. I love eel it's one of my favorite things to have in my sushi. Eggs are a staple in my world. Granted I've never had the two together but delicious plus delicious is obviously just double delicious.


Pasta dish

Pasta, cheese sauce, broccoli. I think that may be some kind of sausage or ground beef or something in there which I can live without for sure. I'd just leave it out.

Granted I would eat all 3 of those things without having to make a lifestyle switch.

BUT
(and this is what this whole blog was about)

I would absolutely reconsider eating meat for this dish



I'm just so curious about it. It's tofu is marinated in red chili vinaigrette with short ribs are saturated in a red, sesame chili salsa in a corn tortilla served out of a Korean-Mexican Barbecue food truck. Ridiculous and yet I want to eat it. Los Angeles, I dislike you for many reasons Kobe being number 1, but if I ever decide to eat meat again I'm coming for a visit so I can eat this taco.


That is all :-)

1 comment:

  1. I will take you! It's freakin delicious!!

    ReplyDelete