Friday, November 12, 2010

Excuse me November when did you get here?

November? Where on Earth did October go? I'm in complete disbelief. This semester is almost over. I signed up for my Spring classes this morning, finals are fast approaching and my life is whipping by me so rapidly. This year is almost over 49 days and it'll 2011. WOW I'm just flabbergasted. It's unreal how quickly time flies. So November marks the beginning of the Holiday season. How exciting! Secretly I love the holidays but secretly I hate them more. I always get homesick this time of year, I want to go home to the South and spend time with my family. Holidays back home are epic events to be remembered. They are the type of get togethers that Hollywood makes movies about. Aunts, uncles, 5 cousins I've never met, babies, old people, food, food and more food, the uncle that drank to much so now he's busy telling the children stories about about when he was a "youngster", plus the nosy Aunt who gossips through dinner and tells everyone her opinion but no one heads it, those people exist in my family. As crazy as they are I miss them. I want to be with them and laugh at them I want to have a holiday with them; I love their eccentricities. So for years Arizona holidays have made me want to become a shut in because I itch for my childhood holidays, I yearn for my family. My Arizona holidays with my Dad, (former Step-Mom), step sister and 3 little sisters have always been slightly tragic, due to the generally extreme dysfunction of our family. We don't do holidays well, we used to pretend and cover up the fact that 3 hours before we sat down to eat someone was picking a fight behind a closed door and someone else had just drank enough to drown most people and that 5 people were secretly dying to just go to the movies and get away from the other 2, but pretending is not an option now-a-days and due to my current state of self declared familylessness(that is not a word but as a woman who gets joy from writing I'm claiming poetic freedom to invent words) here in Arizona.

However as I have chosen to make this place my own and ladies and gentlemen: I do foresee Holiday joy in my near future for I will claim the things that are good. I'm claiming joy for myself this holiday season; no more tragic Arizona holidays for me.

I don't know what I'm going to do but I do know that it will be good and cheerful and involved some kind of joy spreading thing. I think I'm might volunteer some where, spend sometime with other alone people, they'll probably bless me with their presence more than I could ever bless them with mine.


Happy Holidays... and by that I mean Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment