Friday, April 16, 2010

Crossing lines and people quitting.

I quit a person. I did it because I just don't agree with some people. So I quit this person because I think we'll never agree. I may have quit other people before but this is the first time I consciously decided I quit you, person. People just don't agree I know you know what I mean. For example when this guy in my class said he thinks communism is a good idea and held firm to that belief and insisted on debating it. Even after I explained how counter intuitive to human nature it is and it can't work because it's a Utopian ideal and Utopia is impossible to achieve and without sounding like a bible thumper I tried to explain it’s because of sin without saying “Utopia can’t be achieved because there is no perfect society with sin in the world you big dummy.” But that guy just kept going and explained all the things he thinks would be better if the U.S. was a communist country. Don't misinterpret the following because I'm pretty liberal… but no one in their right mind agrees with that guy (p.s. if you do happen to agree with that guy, well I don't agree with you either. Read a book or look into the history of Russia or Romania or any country that was part of the Soviet Block for that matter). Say what you want about me. I just know better than to think everyone can be satisfied being "equal" and under the thumb of an ideology. So sometimes I want to kick that guy in the shins but I don't I just laugh at him and walk away. Mostly because I think that guy isn't worth my time, he's stubborn and because I don’t care about that guy he’s a lost cause to me. Something I shouldn't even bother with... well as far as debate goes that is. He’s a library Marxist and deserves to live in Russia (credit the second half of that statement to my quotable professor). Can I apply that to anyone I don’t agree with? The laugh and walk away because I don’t care about you because you’re a lost cause attitude.

Obviously it works with silly things like political debate but what about the million other things in life? I mean, I know that no one expects everyone to believe the same as them on every single issue ever thought of but where do we draw the line? When do we say "you and I disagree on some pretty important things, I think we should just agree to disagree and leave it there never to be revisited because I'm done with you." Is that even right? Can I do that? I've been asking myself that a lot lately. I used to believe that people could be incredibly different minded but still come together and do things but I don't know anymore if it’s true. I used to think you had to agree on the really big things and then the petty stuff that you disagreed on would just pass. However I think you have to agree on that too. You have to agree to let the petty stuff go. It just isn’t worth it and I think both parties have to agree about that. I think it’s the little things that divide a group. I think people forget about the important things that brought them together in the first place and they forget that they’re supposed to be different and that was the cool thing they had going for them and the dwelling starts. The passing just does not happen.

Specifically here's why I think that...
Not too long ago I found myself in the midst a pretty deep debate about something and I stood in complete disagreement with someone. It was stupid. I really felt like it was not a big deal. It was a difference and I felt that it should have just been let go. I felt the discussion should have been over before it even started. What was said should not have been said. Hence why I was ready to fight it was too far and it kept going farther to me. When it was brought up I found myself infuriated because it was even being discussed. So much so that I knew I could start a fight about it. I could have defended what I believed in from here to next month I was prepared to fight. In the beginning I was burning with desire to crush the other person to defend what I believed… then I realized, I'd been in that place with that same person before. This time I probably could have hit with some heavy blows and won the fight too. But I didn't, I just did nothing. I did nothing because as soon as I assessed the situation I lost the will want to fight. I just didn't care enough to fight with them. I cared enough about what I was ready to defend but I didn't care to waste my energy on the other person because I felt it was a lost cause because they were being pretty damn petty. Not to mention I felt that the other person crossed a line and I didn't want to cross it too. So I put my hands in my pockets and shut my mouth. Then a few hours later after some contemplation I quit that person. Can I do that?

Is that where I draw my line, when it isn't worth fighting for anymore? When someone isn't worth me fighting with any more? When I've completely lost the will to fight? When I encounter a lost cause for me... because I'm human... God can salvage anything and everything but I can't I don't have that ability. Things will be beyond my ability to fix at some point. Is that the line? Can I quit people when I reach that line? Can I quit them when I realize that we're different but we can't be alright with those differences we have to dwell on them and cross lines? Say things we shouldn't? Judge others? Can I quit that person?

I don't know if I can; I'm not even remotely sure that it's allowed...

but I quit a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment